Thursday, May 4, 2017

God's Wasteful Love For Us

Jesus used this figure of speech with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them. So again Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and bandits; but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.” John 10:6-10


My Dad has a lot of great sayings on his office wall. My favorite is, “Live fully, love wastefully, and have the courage to be yourself.”

God loves us “wastefully” or with an abundance beyond the limits of our conception. 
.
Even hen Jesus tries to describe God’s wasteful love by using overly-familiar images of temple, sheep gate, shepherd and sheep his followers  “ … did not understand what he was saying to them.”  (Jn 10:6)  In the midst of the harsh realities of their lives in the ancient world, I imagine it was easier to believe in a violent and vengeful God than the one Jesus is describing. In the end, he has to spell it out for them and give them the definitive good news that “I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly” (Jn 10:10).

Our lives sometimes make it hard to see, but Jesus reminds us God’s love is  huge and obvious as the temple, humble and gentle like a sheep, guiding us like a shepherd, and safely leading us to holiness through the “gate” that is communion with his love for us.  


Jesus is shepherd, gate, and sheep rolled into one. He is self-giving, guiding, saving love made plain for all humanity. Abundant life- being truly human- is found not in “killing and destroying” but in constantly orienting our lives (with God’s help) towards self-sacrifice, humility and compassion for ourselves, others, and the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment