Wednesday, May 17, 2017

MEET JOEL SMITH!!! NEW LAY ASSISTANT FOR YOUTH MINISTRY AND STUFF!

Ed. Note-- Joel will be joining us August 1st as a Lay Minister for Youth. He will be focusing on small groups out in the community that we are planning for this year, service Saturdays, and increasing our presence "out there" with all of you. He will also be with us on other days at church, too. We are so excited to have him as a part of our staff and youth ministries team.

I asked him to introduce himself to all of you for this week's email message.
Peace--Tim+

Hello, everyone!
My name is Joel Smith and I am the new lay youth minister at All Saints. I’m very excited to return to the Atlanta area after I spent the last two years in Athens in the automotive program at
Athens Technical College. I was intent on finishing that program and diving head first into the workforce as a mechanic. However, upon finishing up at Athens Tech, I didn’t feel that I was making the right decision concerning vocation. I spent some time discerning what I felt called to do, and after some serious thought, I felt that I needed to devote my time and energy to the Episcopal Church.
Working in the Episcopal church is nothing new to me. I was a devout youth group attendee at St. Aidan’s Episcopal Church in Alpharetta, where I also helped on the breakfast team and worked as an acolyte and an usher. Along with my new position as lay youth minister, I am on Summer Staff at Camp Mikell, which is the camp of the Diocese of Atlanta. I’ve been going to Camp Mikell since 2006 and I really encourage you to make a trip up there as well.
Father Tim and I have been busy as can be planning awesome activities for all the youths including, but not limited to, bible studies, Camp Mikell retreats, super awesome days of fun with St. Luke’s, and service Saturdays! We’ve got some great things planned so be sure to keep an eye out for updates.
Now, a little more about me. I love all kinds of music, cars, reading, the great outdoors, and sometimes I even like the great indoors. (Oh, and also Go Falcons and Go Braves). The Episcopal Church was an extremely important and formative aspect of my youth, and I hope that it can do the same things for you that has done for me. I can’t wait to meet all of y’all!

The Peace of the Lord be always with you.
Joel Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment